Duke University has implemented a secure wireless network known as Dukeblue which uses the authentication mechanism WPA-2 Enterprise and 802.1X. When correctly installed and configured, this network will protect your Duke NetID and password, and ensure that your data and transactions are secure and protected.
These steps require local admin rights in order to be successfully completed. Follow these steps to configure your Dukeblue connection for your Windows computer so you can take advantage of this layer of security. These instructions are intended for the initial connection to Dukeblue. After you successfully complete these instructions, if you connect to another wireless network, and re-connect to Dukeblue, you should NOT need these instructions.
1. Open your web browser and navigate to https://dukeblue.duke.edu/ The Auto Installer is a program that you will install as follows:
2. The Dukeblue web page should also detect your Windows operating system. Click the “JoinNow” button. Below are sample screens for Windows 7, 8.1 and 10. Should it not detect your version of Windows, simply choose your operating system from the drop-down list.
3. Run the .exe file that downloads and accept any UAC or User Access Control prompts, like the example shown below:
Click Yes button to begin program
4. Enter your NetID/Password when prompted by SecureW2 application and select “Next“.
5. Configuration and Authentication will proceed
6. When connection has finished you will receive a “Joined” Message
7. Click Done to complete the steps. You should now be connected to Dukeblue. Should you connect to a different wireless network, you will be able to re-connect to Dukeblue directly, and should only need these instructions for this initial connection.
NOTE: You should routinely verify that your wireless connection has joined Dukeblue. In any given location, a large number of networks are available and your computer may not default to Dukeblue. If you are not connected to Dukeblue, you will not be able to advantage of the enhanced security this network provides.
If you are still having difficulty connecting to Dukeblue, you can try the manual configuration steps, consult with your local IT support, or contact the OIT Service Desk at 684-2200.