Consider the following questions prior to requesting Data Commons storage, as we will need these answers to provision a share:
(1) Do you want the storage to be available for mounting on local workstations or on the Duke Compute Cluster (DCC)?
(1a) Do you want to mount the storage as CIFS (aka “SMB”) or NFS? (CIFS is usually used for local Windows or Mac workstations, whereas NFS is usually used for the DCC or for local linux workstations)
(1b) If you are requesting “NFS” AND the share is to be mounted somewhere OTHER THAN (or in addition to) the DCC, what are the IP addresses of those systems that need to mount the NFS share?
(2) The cost associated is $82 per TB per year. This cost is based on the ALLOCATION, not on the amount ACTUALLY USED. If data will flow in over time, it may be more cost effective to request a base amount now, and to increase that amount closer to the point of need for the additional storage. Given that, what initial allocation would you like?
(3) What fund code would you like to charge for the costs noted in (2)?
(4) Do you want this storage to be backed up? (doing so doubles the cost, as backups are done via replication to a separate storage array)
(5) Can you attest that no “sensitive” data will be stored in this space?
(6) Which netIDs will need access (permissions) to this storage?
(7) Do you have a “lab name” that should be used in naming the share, for easier tracking?
Questions about any of the above? Send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to help!