This article explains how to manually install Symantec Endpoint Protection (anti-virus and malware protection) on personally-owned Mac OS X computers. If you have a Duke-owned machine, please contact your IT administrator for access to Symantec for Duke-supported computers.
Step 1: Uninstall Existing Anti-virus/Malware Software
Before Symantec Endpoint Protection is installed, you should uninstall any existing anti-virus or malware removal software currently installed on your computer. This includes all McAfee software previously distributed by Duke.
Step 2: Download the Software
- Visit the Symantec Endpoint Protection page at the OIT software download site:
- Click the “Get Software” button at the bottom of the page.
- In the drop-down menu next to “Platform” select “Mac OS X”
- Click the “Get Software” button at the bottom.
- Now select the Symantec Endpoint Protection link for Mac OS X.
- After selecting the link, the download of the Symantec Endpoint Protection installer will begin.
Step 3: Install the Software
- In your Downloads folder (or the location you saved the download to), locate and double-click the “Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_xxx.zip” file to extract the files. (The file name may very depending on the version you selected in step 5 above.)
- Now, in your Downloads folder (or the location you saved the download to), locate the Symantec folder that was just extracted.
- In the Symantec folder, locate the “Symantec Endpoint Protection.dmg” disk image file and double-click it to mount the disk image.
- Locate the mounted disk image on your Desktop and double-click to open it. (By default this folder will open in a separate window when it has finished mounting.)
- In the disk image window locate the file “Symantec Endpoint Protection.pkg” and double-click it to launch the installer.
- In the Symantec Installer welcome dialog click the “Continue” button to proceed.
- In the License Agreement window click the “Continue” button and then click “Agree” to accept the license agreement.
- In the Installation Type window click the “Install” button. You will be prompted for your computer password to allow the installer to continue.
- If you receive a warning that all applications must be closed, save any unsaved files and then click the “Continue Installation” button to proceed.
- When the installer has completed, click the “Log Out” button to close the installer, log out and complete the installation.