Email that meets the criteria defined in your Junk E-Mail settings in OWA will be automatically placed in your Junk E-Mail folder instead of in your Inbox. OWA provides tools that allow you to re-classify messages that have incorrectly been identified as “junk”, or messages that should be considered junk, but did not meet the criteria that was defined at the time the message was received.
When new mail is received, it is checked against your Junk E-Mail filters before it is placed in your Inbox. If it is considered to be unwanted and unsolicited email based on the criteria currently defined in your Junk E-Mail settings, it will be placed in the “Junk E-mail” folder in your folder list instead of your Inbox.
The messages opened from your Junk E-Mail folder will have most of the same functions available that can be used with emails in your Inbox.
NOTE: The information in this article includes screen shots and directions taken from the latest version of Office 365. Please be aware that Microsoft can and does update the OWA client frequently and the directions and screen shots below may no longer match what you see in Office 365. Please notify the Service Desk or update this article with a comment below if the information is no longer accurate and cannot be followed reliably.
To correct the incorrect classification of a message as Junk Mail:
- Go to the Junk E-mail folder and locate the message that should not be flagged as “junk mail”.
Right click and select the option Mark as not junk.
- OPTIONALLY: Click the Report or Don’t report buttons to send your choice to Microsoft so the accuracy of junk mail reporting can be improved.
To change the rules that are used to determine what messages are flagged as “junk” from OWA:
- Verify you are using the Mail view (not Calendar, People, etc.).
- Select the gear icon near the upper, right-hand corner, then Options.
- Select Mail -> Accounts -> Block or allow.
- If you are having issues with inaccurate junk mail reporting, you may want to select Don’t move email to my Junk Email folder. Otherwise, verify that the sender has been added to your Safe Senders and Recipients list. You can also manually add other addresses by entering the address and clicking the plus sign.
- Change the settings as desired , then click the Save button near the bottom-left corner.
For more information, see: