Duke students can get a Box.com account with a 50 GB quota following graduation. Please note that this only applies to students and not faculty or staff.
Please keep the following in mind before proceeding:
- Duke Health students must delete the sensitive folder and go into the “Trash” folder and verify that it’s deleted from there as well.
- The external email address added cannot already be registered with any Box.com account.
- Collaborated folders are not transferred. ONLY the folders that the student OWNS are transferred. Students will have to reach out to the owners of the collaborated folders after the account has been transferred if they would like to be re-added.
This information is valid as of April 2018 and is subject to change.
Graduating students must follow the below process before their NetID status changes to inactive to ensure the correct email address is on file with box.com:
1. Login to https://box.duke.edu/ from a desktop or laptop computer.
2. Click on your profile at the top right and select Account Settings
3. Add your personal email address (non-Duke email) to “Login and Email Addresses”
IMPORTANT: The external email address added cannot already be registered with any Box.com account.
4. Login to your non-Duke email account where the verification email was sent (please note there may be a slight delay so allow 15 minutes). Once you receive this message, click on the Verify Email button
5. Verify in your Box account settings that the non-Duke email address is associated with your Duke Box account. You should see only “Remove” as an option.
NOTE: If you did not receive the link and the email address has the option to resend, try to resend the activation again, otherwise proceed to the next step.
6. Contact the OIT Service Desk at (919) 684-2200. Request your Duke Box account be transferred to a personal Box account. Service Desk staff will verify your identity as part of this process.
7. Once the account has been transferred and you have been notified of the transfer by OIT, please go to https://www.box.com/ and select the Login option at the top right corner of the page.
8. Use your non-Duke email address, then click on Reset Password and enter the non-Duke email address. A link to reset the password will be sent to this account. NOTE: if you see a Duke Shibboleth screen after entering your non-Duke email address, please contact the Service Desk.
For any questions in regards to the process of transferring the Box folder, please contact the OIT service desk:
Service Desk Escalation:
Once the graduating student has called and has been verified, please submit a ticket to Collaborative Services requesting that the Box account be “rolled out”. An Alumni affiliation is required.