Cvent includes the ability to connect contacts to each other using the Related Contacts feature. Similar to the relationships feature in DADD, this functionality connects contacts in the address book.
The benefits for configuring this for your events include the following:
- Registrants do not have to keep entering the same guest information for each event they attend. They can select from a list, making the registration process easier. Registrants can also add guests that are not on their list of related contacts.
- After an event, post-registration investigation and clean-up efforts are easier. If an existing contact registers for an event and brings guests that are related contacts in the address book, all of the information already collected about each is available to the event planner.
It is important to “close the loop” with this feature. If you do not, someone already registered as a guest could complete a separate registration. Or a registrant could be added as someone else’s guest. For example, Jane Doe could register and indicate John Doe as a guest. Meanwhile, John is unaware of Jane’s actions and registers himself adding Jane as his guest.
Follow these steps to enable the Related Contacts functionality.
- Go to Website & Registration -> Registration -> Registration Settings.
- Click the Guests tab (if this tab is missing, go to Event Details -> General -> Event Configuration and Edit to enable Guest Registration).
- Make sure the option Invitees can bring guests is set to Yes, then locate the Advanced Settings section and verify the following options are activated as indicated:
- Invitees must provide personal information about their guests during initial registration: set to Yes.
- Invitees can select guests from their related contacts: set to Yes.
- Add new guests to the: select Address Book and Invitee’s related contacts.
- Accepted registrants can also be added as guests: set to No.
- Registrants’ guests can also register on their own: set to No.
- Save changes, then select the Identification & Security tab.
- In the Privacy section, locate the option Pre-populate the information of registrants who arrive through a public weblink: and set this to Yes. This allows the related contacts option to be displayed once the registrant has entered their name and email address to identify themselves.
- Save changes. NOTE: If you have multiple Registration Paths, repeat the previous steps for each path.
- You may want to customize the message users will see if someone already registered is added as a guest (or guest as a registrant). Go to Website & Registration -> Website -> Language Management and search for “has already registered for this event and cannot be registered again“. There are two results:
- The result with the Text ID value of vld_reg_0123 is the message that appears when someone adds a guest who is already registered for the event as a primary registrant.
- The result with the Text ID value of vld_reg_0124 is the message that appears when someone is acting as a primary registrant who is already registered as a guest.
- Click the pencil icon next to the Text ID field and in the Custom Text field, enter a new message to clarify the issue. For example:
- In vld_reg_0123, enter [&1] has already registered for this event and cannot be added as a guest.
- In vld_reg_0124, enter [&1] is already a guest for this event and cannot be registered again.
- Click the Save (or disk) icon to save changes for each Text ID.