Installing the University VPN client and connecting
**MFA is now required for VPN access, please see kb: KB0028460 for instructions**
These steps are for connecting the University VPN client via Mac. Every member of the University community with a NetID has access to download the VPN Client. If you need assistance with the DUHS connection, please contact the DHTS Service Desk at 919 684 2243.
The MAC version can be retrieved from here.
Be sure your Java is up to date before proceeding with the installation. https://www.java.com/en/download/
1) In a browser window, go to https://vpn.duke.edu
2) On the portal.duke.edu webpage, enter your NetID and password. In the department field, choose the required department that your are advised to use. The below example shows Library Resources Only. Click Login.
3) An message will pop up asking you to continue. Please be aware of the message. Click Continue
4) A download window will pop-up. Click Download. If web-based installation fails, go to step 4a. Otherwise, go to step 5
4a) You will receive the message below telling you web-based installation failed. This usually occurs if java or Windows is not up to date. Please click the link under ‘install using the link below’ message.
5) Run installer with all default settings.
6) Upon successful installation, you will find the file in Windows under Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. It will say ready to connect. If the address/server field is blank, enter vpn.duke.edu. Click Connect.
7) The credential window will pop-up. Supply your NetID credentials and choose a group. This will depend on your department or department you are connecting to, please contact the IT group of the department you need access to for assistance. Choose Library Resource Only if you are not accessing any specific department.
8) A warning window will pop up. Please choose Accept if you agree or Disconnect if you do not.
9) The VPN client will now connect. You can check if you are by looking at your taskbar and click on the Anyconnect symbol. Connected to portal.duke.edu will appear in place of ready to connect.
If you need further assistance, contact your local IT support group/person
You can also contact your appropriate Service Desk:
University Users: OIT Service Desk – 919 684 2200
Duke Medicine Users: DHTS Service Desk – 919 684 2243